Employment and Labor Lawyer Serving Employers and Employees in Columbia, MD
Joyce E. Smithey is an experienced employment and labor law attorney and a Partner at the law firm of Rifkin Weiner Livingston LLC. She represents employers and employees in Columbia, MD in matters ranging from discrimination claims to disputes involving non-competition covenants.
With more than 17 years of transactional and litigation experience, Joyce E. Smithey offers a wealth of insights for companies and individuals facing employment contract negotiations and employment-related disputes in Columbia, MD. With a diverse employment law background, she is also available to provide comprehensive compliance and risk mitigation counseling to companies of all sizes with offices in Maryland. As Columbia continues to grow into one of Maryland’s leading business and technology centers, both new and established employers in the area must continue to make sound employment practices a top priority.
As the author of the Fourth Edition of Maryland Rules Commentary, contributing author to the MSBA Maryland Employment Law Deskbook, and a regular contributor to the Metropolitan Washington Employment and Labor Lawyers Association’s newsletter and The Employee Advocate, Ms. Smithey is recognized as an authority in the areas of Maryland and federal employment law. Her clients include small businesses, major corporations, and employees in both the public and private sectors. If you need an employment lawyer in Columbia, MD, contact Ms. Smithey to arrange an initial consultation today.
Areas of Practice
Focusing her practice exclusively in the areas of Maryland and federal employment law, Ms. Smithey devotes her practice to representing employers and employees in the following types of matters:
- Compliance and Claim Prevention – Representation of Maryland-based employers in all matters pertaining to state and federal employment law compliance.
- Discrimination – Representation of employers and employees in administrative proceedings and litigation involving allegations of discrimination based upon age, disability, family responsibilities, genetic status, marital status, national origin, political opinion, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, and sexual orientation.
- Employment Contract Matters – Representation of employers and employees in contract and severance negotiations, enforcement of restrictive covenants, and employment contract-related disputes.
- Equal Pay Act Violations – Representation of employers and employees in claims involving allegations of unlawful gender-based wage disparity.
- ERISA Matters – Representation of employers and employees in all matters under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), including retaliation claims.
- Medical Leave Issues – Representation of employers and employees in disputes involving violations of the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and other medical leave-related issues.
- Retaliation and Reprisal – Representation of employers and employees with regard to claims involving termination and employment discrimination based against employees who report improper activity (whistleblowers) and engage in other protected activities.
- Sexual Harassment – Representation of employers and employees in claims under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits sexual harassment and other forms of sexual discrimination in the workplace.
- Wage and Hour Issues – Representation of employers and employees in disputes involving violations of the Maryland Wage and Hour Law or the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), including discrimination based upon age and immigration status.
- WARN Act Violations – Representation of employers and employees in claims alleging insufficient notice of plant closings and large-scale layoffs under the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act.
- Workplace Privacy – Representation of employers and employees in matters involving technology-related privacy issues, including access to employee email and social media accounts.
- Wrongful Discharge – Representation of employers and employees in wrongful termination disputes involving allegations of discrimination, retaliation, breach of contract, and other improper grounds for dismissal.
Awards and Recognition
Joyce E. Smithey has received numerous awards and accolades during her distinguished legal career in Maryland. As a result of her reputation, she has been engaged to represent clients in several prominent cases, and she has been quoted by multiple media outlets, including the Baltimore Sun and the Washington Post. Ms. Smithey’s awards and recognition include:
- Maryland Super Lawyer in the Area of Employment and Labor Law
- Maryland’s Top 50 Women Attorneys, as published by Baltimore Magazine
- Frequent press interviews on employment-related cases, including on NPR’s All Things Considered
In addition to her regular practice, Ms. Smithey serves on the Employment and Labor Law Hotline for the Women’s Law Center, teaches in the Workplace Street Law Program, and teaches seminars and law school courses on topics in the areas of employment and labor law.
Contact Employment Law Attorney Joyce E. Smithey in Columbia, MD
If you are an employer or employee in Columbia, MD in need of legal representation, contact attorney Joyce E. Smithey for an initial consultation. To discuss your legal needs in confidence, call (410) 269-5066 or send Ms. Smithey a message online today.