Joyce Smithey leads Rifkin, Weiner, Livingston, Levitan & Silver, LLC’s labor and employment practice. In 2015, Ms. Smithey was once again selected for inclusion as a Maryland Super Lawyer in the area of Employment and Labor Law. Ms. Smithey was named among Maryland’s Top 50 Women Attorneys, as published in Baltimore Magazine.
As a leading Annapolis employment lawyer, Ms. Smithey regularly advises employers and employees on all matters relating to Employment and Labor Law, including:
- Discrimination, including race, sex, pregnancy, national origin, age, family responsibilities, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic status, family responsibilities, and political opinion
- Sexual harassment
- Retaliation and reprisal
- Claims prevention, including drafting employee handbooks and providing on-site training sessions to managers and employees on Employment and Labor Law topics.
- The Equal Pay Act
- Representation of public sector employees
- Disability accommodation and discrimination
- Medical leave
- Wrongful discharge
- Workplace privacy
- Employment contracts and restrictive covenants
- ERISA discrimination
- Employee and applicant testing
- Wage and hour issues
Ms. Smithey has represented clients in state and federal courts, arbitrations, and before the Department of Labor, state and county commissions on human relations, and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. She has handled numerous jury trials, appellate oral arguments before the First and Fourth Circuits, bench trials, motion hearings, equity petitions, and damages hearings. Ms. Smithey is also a trained mediator on workplace issues.