Anton Marino is an associate at Smithey Law Group, LLC (“SLG”) and represents individuals in employment discrimination and whistleblower matters, involving claims under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans With Disabilities Amendments Act of 2008, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act, and the National Defense Authorization Act’s enhancement of contractor protection from reprisal for disclosure of certain information. Anton also maintains a LGBTQ pro bono practice outside the firm, and assists transgender persons seeking government-issued identity documents that reflect their authentic selves. Anton is currently a member of the Metropolitan Washington Employment Lawyers Association (MWELA), District of Columbia Bar Association and Maryland State Bar Association.
Before joining SLG, Anton worked for a law firm in Annapolis, Maryland and as an Assistant County Attorney in the Anne Arundel County Office of Law’s Government and Operations Section. Anton also worked for a criminal practice in the District of Columbia, briefing matters in the federal and District of Columbia’s appellate courts. After law school, Anton clerked for Judge Michele D. Hotten, when she was on the Court of Special Appeals of Maryland.
Anton graduated from the University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law as a Leadership Scholar and was a recipient of the School’s 2012 Litigation and Advocacy Award. During law school, Anton participated in the Appellate and Post-Conviction Advocacy Clinic, co-chaired the Fall Moot Court Competition, and assisted in the preparation, research, and editing of Maryland’s brief opposing a petition to the Supreme Court for a writ of certiorari in a matter regarding the scope of the Second Amendment. Anton received a Bachelor of Arts degree in anthropology from The Johns Hopkins University.
- County Office of Law, Assistant County Attorney (Anne Arundel County, Maryland) (2014-2016)
- Court of Special Appeals of Maryland, Law Clerk (Judge Hotten) (2012-2013)
- Court of Appeals of Maryland, Judicial Intern (Judge Battaglia) (2011)
Publications and Presentations
- Transgender Employee Inclusion – Transgender Workplace Forum, sponsored by the Maryland LGBTQ Chamber of Commerce (November 2017)
- The Bathroom Battleground: Protecting Transgender Employee’s Right to Equal Bathroom Access Within the Workplace Under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, MSBA Section of Labor & Emp’t L. Newsletter, Volume XXI, No. 5 (2016)
- LGBTQ Cultural and Competency & Implicit Biases Training – “Diversity an Inclusion Week,” sponsored by the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (October 2014)
- Trans* 101: Understanding Gender Identity and Equality – sponsored by Maryland Legal Aid Bureau, in conjunction with FreeState Justice (June 2014)
- Attaining Government Issued Identification and Birth Certificates for Transgender Individuals’ Gender Identities – “Towards Transgender Equality in Maryland,” sponsored by the Maryland Lawyer Chapter of the American Constitution Society, Baltimore, Maryland (March 2014)
- How We Get Gender Identity Wrong – “B+more Proud,” sponsored by the Baltimore LGBTQIA Leadership Summit (March 2014)
- TRANsgressions of Inequality: The Struggle Finding Legal Protections Against Wrongful Employment Termination On The Basis Of The Transgender Identity, 21 U. J. Gender Soc. Pol’y & L 865 (2013)
- Maryland (2012)
- Washington, D.C. (2015)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit (2016)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia (2017)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland (2018)