Experienced Employment Lawyer Serving Employers and Employees in Frederick, MD
Joyce E. Smithey is an employment attorney who has more than 17 years of experience representing individuals and companies throughout Maryland. If you need experienced legal representation for an employment-related matter in Frederick, MD, contact Ms. Smithey to schedule a confidential initial consultation today.
In Maryland, state and federal laws provide important protections for employees while imposing strict – and often complex – obligations on employers. Employers must exercise due care to ensure that they are providing their employees with safe, fair, and compliant work environments, and when they fail to meet their obligations, their employees are well within their rights to hold them accountable.
Attorney Joyce E. Smithey represents employers and employees in Frederick and across Maryland in a wide range of employment and labor law matters. Focusing her practice exclusively on employment and labor law, Ms. Smithey has developed a reputation for being both a trusted advisor to Maryland employers and an unwavering advocate for businesses and individuals in negotiations, administrative hearings, and state and federal litigation.
Legal Representation for Frederick, MD Employers and Employees
Understanding employees’ rights, knowing when those rights have been violated, and knowing how to protect employers’ and employees’ respective interests requires a thorough understanding of the law and the ability to apply complex legal principles to the factual scenarios that arise in constantly changing work environments. Ms. Smithey relies upon well over a decade of Maryland and federal employment law experience to effectively represent her clients, while seeking to avoid disputes where possible and pursuing quick, efficient outcomes in dispute resolution proceedings and litigation.
Ms. Smithey’s practice areas include:
- Class Actions
- Disability Accommodations
- Employment Contract and Severance Negotiations
- Equal Pay Act
- Medical Leave
- Representation of Public Sector Employees
- Restrictive Covenants and Non-Competes
- Retaliation and Reprisal
- Sexual Harassment
- Wage and Hour Issues
- WARN Act Violations
- Workplace Privacy
- Wrongful Discharge
- Certified Mediator in Employment Disputes
About Maryland Employment Lawyer Joyce E. Smithey
Why should you choose Joyce E. Smithey for your employment and labor law needs in Frederick, MD?
- Over 17 Years’ Experience in Maryland Employment Law. Joyce Smithey focuses her practice exclusively in the area of employment law. For more than 17 years, she has been representing private employers as well as both private and public sector employees in complex legal matters throughout Maryland. She is a partner at the law firm of Rifkin Weiner Livingston LLC and leader of the firm’s labor and employment practice.
- Extensive Knowledge About Claim Prevention and Employee Rights. Representing both employers and employees, Ms. Smithey offers a unique perspective that allows her to anticipate legal issues for employers while also vigorously representing clients on both sides of complex employment litigation. Whether you are seeking to reduce your company’s risk exposure or you are an employee whose rights have been violated, Ms. Smithey can provide practical, straight-forward representation tailored to meeting your unique needs.
- Recognition as a Top Maryland Employment Law Attorney. As a result of her experience and reputation, Ms. Smithey has repeatedly been recognized as one of Maryland’s leading employment and labor law attorneys. This includes repeat selection as a Maryland Super Lawyer as well as inclusion on Baltimore Magazine’s list of Maryland’s Top 50 Women Attorneys. Ms. Smithey and her employment law cases have been featured in various news and media outlets as well.
- An Authority on Maryland Employment and Labor Law. In addition to her legal practice, Ms. Smithey has also taught seminars and law school courses in the areas of employment, and she is a contributing author of the MSBA Maryland Employment Law Deskbook. She also authored the Fourth Edition of the Maryland Rules Commentary and is a regular contributor to The Employee Advocate, the newsletter of the Metropolitan Washington Employment and Labor Lawyers Association.
- A Committed Advisor and Advocate for Her Clients. Ms. Smithey is a committed advisor and advocate for her clients. She is devoted to helping employers in Frederick and throughout Maryland maintain compliant workplaces, and she is passionate about helping employers and employees alike stand up for their legal rights.
Contact Attorney Joyce E. Smithey about Your Employment Issue in Frederick, MD
For employers, precarious circumstances can quickly spiral out of control. As an employee, you only have a limited amount of time to take action, and you may need to follow certain procedures in order to protect your legal rights. As a result, you should not wait to take action. To discuss your situation with attorney Joyce E. Smithey in confidence, call (410) 269-5066 or request a consultation online today.