Joyce Smithey is a highly respected employment and labor law attorney who represents employers and employees throughout Maryland and the District of Columbia in a diverse range of legal matters. With more than 22 years of employment law experience, she brings a wealth of knowledge to helping clients cost-effectively protect their interests in administrative hearings, state and federal litigation, and day-to-day practice.
Attorney Joyce Smithey provides experienced legal representation to employers and employees throughout Maryland and the District of Columbia. Focusing her practice exclusively in the areas of employment and labor law, she has garnered a reputation as one of Annapolis’s leading attorneys by representing both employers and employees.
Whether drafting employee handbooks or arguing vigorously on behalf of her clients in federal court, Ms. Smithey brings a comprehensive knowledge base and passionate attention to detail to helping her clients enforce their rights, protect their interests, and remain in compliance with the law.
Background | Education, Legal Experience, and Bar Admissions
After graduating from Maryland’s Severna Park High School, Ms. Smithey moved across the country to attend Pepperdine University. Following her graduation with a Bachelor of Arts in Communication in 1993, she worked her way back to the East Coast, enrolling at Boston University School of Law in 1996. During law school, Ms. Smithey served as a district court intern for the Maryland State’s Attorney’s Office, and authored, “Housing Discrimination Against People with Mental Disabilities: How does the Fair Housing Amendment Act of 1988 Help Implement the Goals of Deinstitutionalization?”
Upon graduating with her Juris Doctor degree in 1999, Ms. Smithey began her legal career with a law firm in New Hampshire. Several years later, she returned to Maryland, spending time at two Baltimore firms before joining Rifkin Weiner Livingston LLC in 2007, where she was an equity partner with the firm and the Chair of its Labor and Employment Practice Group. Ms. Smithey opened her own practice, Smithey Law Group LLC, in 2018.
Ms. Smithey is a member of the following state and federal bar associations:
- Maryland State Bar Association (MSBA)
- District of Columbia Bar Association (DC Bar)
- New Hampshire Bar Association
- U.S. Supreme Court
Recognition | Awards, Lectures, and Publications
2019 Leadership in Law from Daily Record Honoree
“The Leadership in Law honorees are exceptional in what they do professionally and in the greater community,” said Suzanne Fischer-Huettner, publisher of The Daily Record. “Through their professional and volunteer accomplishments, they uphold high legal standards and improve communities throughout Maryland. Mentoring is an important part of who they are, and their impact on upcoming generations is noted. The Daily Record is pleased to honor them.”
Baltimore SmartCEO – 2016 Centers of Influence Awards Honoree –
Joyce E. Smithey named by Baltimore SmartCEO as one of the 2016 Centers of Influence Awards Honorees.
As a result of her experience, pro bono work, and extensive record in state and federal court litigation, Ms. Smithey has received numerous awards and recognitions during her legal career. These include:
- Maryland Super Lawyer in the area of Employment and Labor Law (multiple-time recipient)
- Maryland’s Top 50 Women Attorneys, as published in Baltimore Magazine
- Maryland’s Top 100 Attorneys in the area of Employment and Labor Law
- American Bar Foundation Fellow
Lectures and Publications
Ms. Smithey has also taught seminars and law school courses on labor and employment law topics, and she has published extensively in the area. This includes authoring the Fourth Edition of Maryland Rules Commentary and contributing to the MSBA Maryland Employment Law Deskbook. She is also a regular contributor to The Employee Advocate, the newsletter of the Metropolitan Washington Employment and Labor Lawyers Association. Some of Ms. Smithey’s other lectures and publications include:
- “Personality and Integrity Tests for Hiring and Promoting Employees” (co-authored with Reuben Wolfson, Lexis Practice Advisor)
- “Pros And Cons Of Using Personality Tests In Hiring Process” (co-authored with Reuben Wolfson, law360.com, July 3, 2019)
- “Employment Contracts Presentation” – Joyce Smithey’s presentation at the University of Maryland, March 5, 2019
- “Representing the Accused in the Me Too Era” (Maryland Bar Journal Magazine, January 2019)
- Employment Law Institute presentation regarding 2018 Legislative Law Updates with Sally Dworak-Fisher, Esq. (April 2018)
- “Effective Mediation Strategies” (Bar Association of Montgomery County, 120th Annual Meeting and Law Day Celebration)
- “Data Safety in the Workplace” (Maryland Bar Bulletin)
- “Employment Rights for Employees Living with Cancer” (Wellness House of Annapolis)
- “Employment Rights for Employees Living with Mental Illness” (Trial Reporter, Winter 2015)
- “Restrictive Covenants and Software Engineers” (Intellectual Property Series)
Community | Memberships and Pro Bono Work
Ms. Smithey is a current and past member of numerous academic and local, state, and national professional organizations. Her current affiliations include the following:
- American Bar Association
- DC Bar Labor and Employment Law Section
- Executive Committee of the Pepperdine University Washington D.C. Waves Mentor
- Maryland Employment Lawyers Association
- MSBA Labor and Employment Law Section – Section Council Member and Legislative Liaison
- National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA)
- Women’s Bar Association of Maryland
- Maryland Association for Justice
- MD State Bar Association’s Board of Governors
Ms. Smithey’s past affiliations and memberships include:
- Pepperdine University Washington D.C. Internship Program
- Board of Trustees for Dress for Success New Hampshire
Pro Bono Work
In addition to her regular practice, Ms. Smithey also does significant pro bono work for two organizations: The Women’s Law Center and the Workplace Street Law Program. Her volunteer experience includes serving on the Employment and Labor Law Hotline for the Women’s Law Center, and teaching for the Workplace Street Law Program. Ms. Smithey has also authored amicus briefs for NELA.
Contact Joyce E. Smithey | Employment and Labor Law Attorney Serving Employers and Employees Throughout Maryland and the District of Columbia
If you would like to speak with Ms. Smithey about your employment or labor law needs, please feel free to schedule an initial consultation. To speak with Ms. Smithey in confidence, call (410) 919-2990 or submit a request online today.