Experienced Attorney Serving Glen Burnie, MD Employers and Employees in Employment and Labor Law Matters
When it comes to developing a compliance program, protecting your company, or enforcing your rights under federal or Maryland labor and employment laws, experience matters. Attorney Joyce E. Smithey brings well over a decade of experience to representing Glen Burnie, MD employers and employees in compliance matters and dispute resolution.
Joyce E. Smithey is an experienced employment and labor law attorney who represents employers and employees in Glen Burnie, MD. For more than 17 years, she has devoted her practice to helping employers avoid issues while vigorously representing both sides to employment-related disputes in administrative hearings, alternative dispute resolution (ADR), and litigation. As a result of her extensive experience and her clear devotion to protecting her clients’ interests, Ms. Smithey has been named both a Maryland Super Lawyer and one of Maryland’s Top 50 Women Attorneys.
In addition to her practice experience, Ms. Smithey also regularly writes and speaks on topics affecting Maryland employers and employees. This includes authoring and contributing to key authorities on Maryland employment law, as well as lecturing at law schools and organizations ranging from bar associations to the Maryland Association of CPAs.
More About Maryland Employment and Labor Law Attorney Joyce E. Smithey
A graduate of Severna Park High School, Pepperdine University, and Boston University School of Law, Joyce Smithey made her way back to Maryland more than ten years ago after beginning her legal career in New Hampshire. She joined the law firm of Rifkin Weiner Livingston LLC in 2007, and today she leads the firm’s labor and employment practice group while representing individual and corporate clients in Glen Burnie and throughout Maryland.
By focusing her practice in employment law and representing both employers and employees, Ms. Smithey has been able to develop a unique, deeply insightful, and strategic approach for her clients in a wide range of employment-related legal matters.
Insightful, Experienced Representation for Employers and Employees in Glen Burnie, MD
Ms. Smithey’s experience includes counseling employers on compliance and claim prevention, as well as representing both employers and employees in disputes involving a wide range of employment-related issues. She regularly handles matters in the following areas:
- Discrimination and Harassment – Including sexual harassment and discrimination based upon age, disability, family responsibilities, genetic status, marital status, national origin, political opinion, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, and sexual orientation.
- Employment Contract Matters – Including severance negotiations, enforcement of restrictive covenants, and other employment contract-related disputes.
- Equal Pay Act Violations – Claims involving unlawful wage disparity based upon gender.
- Medical Leave Issues – Claims involving unlawful medical leave practices, including violations of the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
- Retaliation and Reprisal – Including termination and other forms of discriminatory treatment based upon an employee’s report of improper activity (whistleblowing) or other protected activity.
- Wage and Hour Issues – Including discrimination claims based on age and immigration status, and other violations of the Maryland Wage and Hour Law or the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
- Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act Violations – Claims against covered employers involving insufficient notice of plant closings and large-scale layoffs.
- Workplace Privacy – Including matters relating to access to employee email accounts and other technology-related privacy issues.
- Wrongful Discharge – Including wrongful termination claims based upon discrimination, retaliation, breach of contract, and other improper grounds for dismissal.
On the employer side, Ms. Smithey represents local, regional, national, and international businesses that have a presence in Glen Burnie and in other locations throughout Maryland. With respect to representing employees, Ms. Smithey regularly works with individuals at all levels of seniority and across a wide range of occupations and professions.
No question is too simple, and no matter is too complex. If you are looking for experienced legal representation for any employment-related legal matter in Glen Burnie, MD, schedule an initial consultation with attorney Joyce Smithey today.
Schedule an Initial Consultation with Maryland Employment Lawyer Joyce E. Smithey
Joyce E. Smithey is an experienced employment law attorney and a partner at the Maryland law firm of Rifkin Weiner Livingston LLC. She provides experienced legal representation for employers and employees in Glen Burnie, Maryland and statewide. If you would like to discuss your legal needs with an experienced attorney in a confidential, one-on-one environment, please feel free to arrange an initial consultation. To get started, call (410) 269-5066 or submit a request for a confidential consultation online now.