Trusted Waldorf Employment Attorney Serving Maryland
For employers and employees alike, legal issues can lead to contentious disputes that require an aggressive strategy focused on securing a favorable outcome as efficiently and painlessly as possible. Focusing her practice exclusively in the areas of employment and labor law, Waldorf employment lawyer Joyce E. Smithey brings more than 18 years’ experience in representing employers and employees in Waldorf, MD.
Located southeast of the nation’s Capital between the Potomac River and the Chesapeake Bay, Waldorf is among the more heavily populated areas of Charles County, Maryland. With easy access to federal government offices, Joint Base Andrews, and the technology innovation center that is the Baltimore-Washington Corridor, it is home to numerous businesses and employees. With more than 18 years of employment law practice in Maryland, Waldorf employment attorney Joyce E. Smithey represents employers and employees in Waldorf and throughout Maryland in a wide range of employment-related legal matters.
Meet Waldorf Employment Lawyer Joyce E. Smithey
Waldorf labor attorney Joyce E. Smithey is a veteran employment and labor law attorney who has developed a strong reputation for providing zealous and effective advocacy for her clients. A partner in the law firm of Smithey Law Group LLC and leader of the firm’s labor and employment practice, Ms. Smithey is a repeat Maryland Super Lawyer in the area of Employment and Labor Law, and she has also been named one of Maryland’s Top 50 Women Attorneys by Baltimore Magazine.
As a result of her extensive experience, our Waldorf labor lawyer, Ms. Smithey is widely recognized as an authority on Maryland and federal employment law. She has lectured and spoken to numerous audiences on topics in the area of employment and labor law, and she is a contributing author to the MSBA Maryland Employment Law Deskbook. She has published numerous other articles and resources on employment law as well, and she does extensive pro bono work for employees throughout Maryland.
Areas of Employment Law Experience
A talented Waldorf employment lawyer, Joyce E. Smithey has dedicated her entire practice and career to representing clients in employment and labor law matters. Representing both employers and employees, she has amassed a wealth of knowledge and practical insights that she uses to advise employers on claim prevention, and to fight aggressively for clients in employment-related negotiations, disputes, and litigation. Our Waldorf employment attorney’s practice includes regularly representing clients with respect to the following types of matters:
- All Forms of Discrimination in Employment
- Claims Prevention and Development of Employee Handbooks
- Claims of Unlawful Retaliation and Reprisal
- Defamation of Employees by Current and Former Employers
- Disability Accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Employee Class Actions
- Employee Contract and Severance Negotiations
- Equal Pay Act Violations
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Violations
- Negotiation and Enforcement of Non-Competes and Other Restrictive Covenants
- Representation of Public Sector Employees
- Sexual Harassment Claims
- Wage and Hour Issues
- Whistleblower Claims
- Wrongful Discharge of Contract and At-Will Employees
An aggressive Waldorf employment lawyer, Ms. Smithey offers broad experience within her areas of practice, bringing a uniquely comprehensive perspective to helping employers and employees in Waldorf, MD protect their rights.
Questions to Ask When Choosing an Employment Law Attorney in Waldorf, MD
When you need to limit your company’s claim exposure or protect your interests in contract negotiations or litigation, your choice of legal representation matters. It is important that you make an informed decision, and doing so starts with asking plenty of questions during your initial consultation. Here are some questions to ask when you meet with a Waldorf employment lawyer for the first time:
- How long have you been practicing employment and labor law in Maryland?
- Do you have experience dealing with my specific legal issue?
- Do you represent clients in other areas; or, do you focus exclusively on employment and labor law?
- Do you represent both employers and employees?
- Do you have experience representing clients in both the public and private sectors?
- Do you have the time and resources available to devote to handling my legal issue efficiently?
- What are some recent examples of cases you have handled? What were the outcomes?
- What are the possible outcomes that I can reasonably expect, given my current situation?
- How long could it take to resolve my legal issue?
- What else sets you apart from other employment law attorneys serving Waldorf, MD?
Speak with Waldorf Employment and Labor Law Attorney Joyce E. Smithey
If you would like to meet with Ms. Smithey, a trusted Waldorf Employment Lawyer, to discuss your situation, please feel free to get in touch. You can call (410) 919-2990 to schedule a confidential initial consultation or inquire online to receive a callback as soon as possible.